Grant Edwards wrote:
> On 2023-09-20, Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> For websites, I really like Bitwarden.  I remember one password and it
>> can generate passwords for all the websites I use.  The passwords it
>> generates are pretty random.  For sites that don't allow symbols, I can
>> turn that off.  The big point, I only remember one password.  Thing is,
>> on one hand I need help remembering all these passwords.  On the other
>> hand, that is a risk itself.
> I second the recommendation of Bitwarden.  I used to use Lastpass but
> they discontinued their free version, and the entry-level price was
> just too high. I was so impressed with Bitwarden's support that I did
> end up subsribing to their lowest-level paid service even though I
> don't really need any of the extras that gets me.  It's also nice to
> know that I can set up my own Bitwarden server if I want to.
>
> If you're using Bitwarden's cloudy storage, don't forget to back up
> your password database locally too.  I always back it up in human
> readable format and then encrypt it using openssl command-line
> methods. You don't want to have to depend on either Bitwarden's
> servers or the Bitwarden app to retreive your passwords.
>
> --
> Grant

Usually, once a year I change my major passwords, bank, credit card,
ebay, Paypal, Amazon and such.  I have a folder thingy that I store
those in to make sure I don't forget to change something important.
Anyway, when I do that and use the new passwords successfully, I make a
backup copy and on my rig, I can encrypt it with a right click.  I then
shred the original.  While I think Bitwarden will be around and they
will work fine, one never knows.

I'm thinking of making a one time donation to Bitwarden.  Just to help
them out.  I can't do much but I can do that.  I used Lastpass until
they switched too. I actually imported my passwords from one to the
other.  It seems to work the same way to me.

I still use Lastpass in Seamonkey.  Bitwarden doesn't have a plugin for
Seamonkey that I've found.  Lastpass hasn't been updated in ages
either.  Once Firefox did their major changes a few years ago, a lot of
old plugins are no longer maintained.  Seamonkey needs to catch up or it
is going to die.

Dale

:-)  :-)