On Tue, 17 Oct 2023 21:50:35 -0500, Dale wrote:

> > EFI is much simpler to work with. for one thing, you don't need the
> > monster that GRUB has become.

> While I kinda dread it, it does seem that quite a while ago, it has
> become much easier.  I noticed as I went through the install of Gentoo,
> there didn't seem to be a lot of stuff to do with efi.  One might could
> think it is quicker and simpler as you say.  I recall when it first came
> out.  It was complicated but I think most of that was because it was new
> and the documentation was not quite there yet.  After all this time tho,
> that shouldn't be a problem.
>
> It's a bridge I'll have to cross tho.  It looks easy enough.  Biggest
> thing is partitioning the drive differently.  Gotta remember that.  O_O

If you usually use a separate partition for /boot, all you need to do
differently is set its partition type to EF00 and format it with FAT
instead of ext2.

Oh, and if you use GPT, you no longer need the MBR compatibility
partition, or whatever its called. I no longer need it so I can't
remember the exact name.

--
Neil Bothwick

leep is an excellent way of listening to an opera. - James Stephens
(1882-1950)