Thelma

On 9/17/23 23:17, Dale wrote:
Howdy,

This is a work in progress and may take some time, financially if
nothing else.  With hindsight, I wish I had done this before the price
of everything went up but some things are getting more reasonable. My
first task, a case.  At this point, I may build a new system in the new
case, or, I might build the new system in my current case.  It depends
on which case I buy.  A cube shape wouldn't work for my main system.  It
would take up to much space, it would however make a great NAS box.  My
current case is a Cooler Master HAF-932 with those huge 200mm fans.  It
has a top fan and that thing removes a lot of warm air.  A top fan
really improves heat removal.  After all, heat naturally rises.  So any
case that has a top fan gets extra points with me.

I've found a few cases that peak my interest depending on which way I go
with this.  One I found that has a lot of hard drive space and would
make a descent NAS box, the Fractal Design Node 804.  It's a cube shaped
thing but can hold a LOT of spinning rust. 10 drives plus I think space
for a SSD for the OS as well.  10, 16 or 18TB drives, is a lot of space,
even if in a RAID setup.  I might add, the price ain't bad either,
cheaper than some full tower type cases.  It also has space for 10
fans.  That includes several top ones. The downside, only micro ATX and
mini ITX mobo.  This is a serious down vote here.  I was hoping to turn
my current rig into a NAS.  The mobo and such parts.  This won't be a
option with this case.  Otherwise, it gives ideas on what I'm looking
for.  And not.  ;-)

[snip]

I am most likely too late but as for case I have two of these:
https://www.newegg.ca/white-ssupd-meshlicious-mini-itx/p/2AM-030R-00005

They are mesh type cases, run very cool no heat at all; planning on getting two
more.

Thelma