William Kenworthy wrote:

> On 11/11/23 05:15, Dale wrote:
>> the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Thelma

>>> [snip]
>>>
>>> I am most likely too late but as for case I have two of these:
>>> https://www.newegg.ca/white-ssupd-meshlicious-mini-itx/p/2AM-030R-00005
>>>
>>> They are mesh type cases, run very cool no heat at all; planning on
>>> getting two more.
>>>
>>> Thelma
>>>

>> The case I got holds I think 18 3.5" hard drives.  Eventually, I'll run
>> out there if I keep downloading stuff.  I got plenty of entertainment
>> tho.  lol  The case you linked to wouldn't even be a start.  It does
>> look nice tho.  I bet that mesh does allow a lot of air to flow even
>> without fans.
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-)  :-)
>>

> If your handy with some tools, you could do one of these ...
> "https://www.backblaze.com/blog/open-source-data-storage-server/";
>
> BillK

Now imagine using 16, 18 or 20TB drives instead of 4TB ones in that
thing???  That is really, really nice tho.  I've thought of building a
rig on a piece of plywood.  Then I can add hard drives to my hearts
content by just adding some sort of drive cages, my own making if
needed.  I could take a 2 foot by 4 foot piece of plywood and have room
for TONS of drives.  I've seen several cages that hold 4 or 5 drives
each.  The mobo, power supply and such would only take a small amount of
space really.  Lots of room to mount drive cages.  Cooling wouldn't be a
real issue either since everything is wide open.

I'm thinking of building a small storage building, maybe a 8 foot by 12
foot to put my deep freezer and my backup system in, along with some
other electronic stuff.  I could have it far enough away that if
something happened to my main house, it wouldn't affect where my main
system is.  After finding that ethernet to fiber converter thingy, that
helped.  I could have a small A/C and heater to keep the temps
reasonable.  I would build it well insulated of course.

Well, at least the water heater is done with.  Shouldn't have to worry
about it for 15 or 20 years.  May be the last one I buy.  o-O

Oh, my 770T NAS box setup was acting weird.  Sometimes it wouldn't come
up right.  It acted like something was not posting correct at power up.
I bought a 4 pack of Nvidia NVS 510 with 4 outputs.  I replaced the
video card that was on there and after a couple boot ups, it seems to be
working better.  I guess that old card was a bit flakey.  I hope ti
stays that way.

Dale

:-)  :-)