On Tuesday, 5 December 2023 18:11:14 GMT the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> On 12/5/23 10:16, Cara Salter wrote:
> > On 12/5/23 12:05, the...@sys-concept.com wrote:
> >> It has been some time since I installed Gentoo.
> >> After partitioning, and installing the system after reboot I get kernel
> >> selection from grub and hitting enter, I don't see any text scrolling on
> >> the screen, and I don't see the login screen.
> >>
> >> I think I install grub in a wrong way.
> >> When I mount "boot" content of /boot:
> >> ls /boot/
> >> EFI
> >
> > Is your EFI directory /efi or /boot? If it's /efi, then your mountpoint
> > should be in /boot as is in your /etc/fstab.>
> >> When I unmount "boot" content of /boot:
> >> ls /boot/
> >> System.map-6.1.57-gentoo  config-6.1.57-gentoo  grub
> >> vmlinuz-6.1.57-gentoo
>
> The /efi directory was empty
> I moved /boot to /boot_backup crated /boot directory again
> mount /dev/nvme0n1p1 /boot
> run:
> grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot
>
> installed kernel by running "make install" by default it install to boot ( I
> think). Change fstab from /eft to /boot:
> #/dev/nvme0n1p1 /efi      vfat  noauto,noatime  1 2
> /dev/nvme0n1p1 /boot      vfat  noauto,noatime  1 2
> but now when system boot it can not find any kernel, it just display "grub"
> command on the screen

Please read the necessary documentation:

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/Bootloader

Your boot partition is /dev/nvme0n1p1 and its mountpoint is /boot.  You must
create this partition with the appropriate EFI System type (in gdisk use
EF00).

The /efi directory must be at the top of the /boot partition filesystem,
accessible via /boot/efi.