On Tuesday, 5 December 2023 23:53:23 GMT Peter Humphreey wrote:
> On Tuesday, 5 December 2023 19:35:11 GMT Michael wrote:
> > Your boot partition is /dev/nvme0n1p1 and its mountpoint is /boot.  You
> > must create this partition with the appropriate EFI System type (in gdisk
> > use EF00).
> >
> > The /efi directory must be at the top of the /boot partition filesystem,
> > accessible via /boot/efi.
>
> I've been operating that way for some years, but I have reason to believe
> that things have changed. I'll start a new thread tomorrow.

Both Peters are right and my previous answer was wrong for Thelma's usecase,
the /boot directory must be on a linux fs which understands symlinks *if
vmlinuz is used* - this is because the ESP partition's FAT fs cannot use
symlinks.

The /efi directory *must* be on a FAT fs and contain the grubx64.efi, or any
other bootloader *.efi image.

If kernels are copied manually and vmlinuz symlinks are not used then a FAT
partition with mountpoint on /boot and containing the /boot/efi directory will
work as intended.