On Sat, Apr 13, 2024 at 3:58 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Given the FX-6300 has a higher clocks speed, 3.8GHz versus 3.2GHz for
> the Phenom, I'd think the FX would be a upgrade, quite a good one at
> that.  More L2 cache too.  Both are 6 cores according to what I found.
> Anyone know something I don't that would make switching to the FX-6300 a
> bad idea?

The most obvious issue is that you're putting money into a very obsolete system.

Obviously hardware of this generation is fairly cheap, but it isn't
actually the best bang for the buck, ESPECIALLY when you factor in
power use.  Like most AMD chips of that generation (well, most chips
in general when you get that old), that CPU uses quite a bit of power
at idle, and so that chip which might cost you $35 even at retail
might cost you double that amount per year just in electricity.

If your goal is to go cheap you also need to consider alternatives.
You can get used hardware from various places, and most of it is 3-5
years old.  Even commodity hardware of that age is far more powerful
than a 15 year old CPU socket and often it starts at $100 or so - and
that is for a complete system.  Often you can get stuff that is
ex-corporate that has a fair bit of RAM as well, since a lot of
companies need to deal with compatibility with office productivity
software that might be a little RAM hungry.  RAM isn't cheap these
days, and they practically give it away when they dispose of old
hardware.

The biggest issue you're going to have with NAS is finding something
with the desired number of drive bays, as a lot of used desktop
hardware is SFF (but also super-low-power, which is something
companies consider in their purchasing decisions when picking
something they're going to be buying thousands of).

Right now most of my storage is on Ceph on SFF PCs.  I do want to try
to get future expansion onto NVMe but even used systems that support
much of that are kinda expensive still (mostly servers since desktop
CPUs have so few PCIe lanes, and switches aren't that common).  One of
my constraints using Ceph though is I need a lot of RAM, which is part
of why I'm going the SFF route - for $100 you can get one with 32GB of
RAM and 2-3 SATA ports, plus USB3 and an unused 4-16x PCIe slot.  That
is a lot of RAM/IO compared to most options at that price point (ARM
in particular tends to lack both - not that it doesn't support it, but
rather nobody makes cheap ARM hardware with PCIe+DIMM slots).

--
Rich