On Sat, Apr 13, 2024 at 8:20 AM Dale <rdalek1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Right now, I have a three drive setup in a removable cage for the NAS
> box.

If you only need three drives I'm sure you can find cheap used
hardware that will handle that.  Odds are it will use way less power
and perform better than whatever you're going to upgrade your system
to.

> I'm not familiar with Ceph but I've seen it mentioned before.

Do NOT deploy Ceph with three drives on one host.

Ceph is what you think about using when you are tired of stacking HBAs
to cram a dozen SATA ports in a single host.  It isn't what you'd use
for backup/etc storage.

Honestly, if you're just looking for backup drives I'd consider USB3
drives you just plug into a host and run in a zpool or whatever.
Export the filesystem and unplug the drives and you're done.  That is
how I backup Ceph right now (k8s job that runs restic against ceph
dumping it on a zpool).

--
Rich