Hi,

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:56:18 +1000
"Alan E. Davis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I backed down to 1024xsomething: vertical lines were scalloped/wavy. Someone
> mentioned this would be a timing issue, but I don't know what I'd do to
> microadjust timing? xvidtune? I'll try it.

That won't help. I'm currently using a mystique and am having the very
same problem. It's _very_ easy to circumvent but requires a recompile
of xorg. The fix still hasn't made it into xorg CVS. Maybe time to
write another bug report. But i think I remember having written one for
XFree86, which behaved the same way. I was told that it was merely a
timing issue but AFAIK this isn't configurable und it was fixed in 4.5.
But I never tried that out.

To "fix" the issue, I usually did the following:
1. $ emerge xorg-x11
   waited after the moment when everything is unpacked and patched and hit
CTRL-Z
2. $ vi
/var/tmp/portage/xorg-x11.../work/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/drivers/mga/mga_storm.c

search for the lines:
|/* MGAISBUSY() reportedly causes a freeze for Mystique revision 2 and older */
|    if (!(pMga->Chipset == PCI_CHIP_MGA1064 && (pMga->ChipRev >= 0 &&
pMga->ChipRev <= 2)))
|        while(MGAISBUSY());

Reading the comment exactly, it is easy to fix it (i.e. it couldn't work for
Rev. 2):
|    if (!(pMga->Chipset == PCI_CHIP_MGA1064 && (pMga->ChipRev >= 0 &&
pMga->ChipRev < 2)))
(i.e., changing "<= 2" to "< 2")

3. $ fg
   to continue the suspended emerge job

I'd suggest making a binary package and saving it somewhere...

-hwh