Arturo 'Buanzo' Busleiman schrieb:

> abhay wrote:
>> What? What kind of theory is that?
>
> Sorry, I didn't explain myself clearly. I didn't mean to say that "use
> gnu/linux/oss  for the
> purpose of learning". However you can't argue that one gets to learn a lot
> from simply using it.
>
> So, to clarify:
>
> Learning is the answer to the question,

No it's not. The answer to the question: "Why DON'T refrain from
using unneeded software and systems?" is NOT: "Learning".

The answer is: "Do refrain fromusing systems that you don't need".
And for the majority of systems, this would include PAM. Eg.
if it's sufficient to use /etc/{passwd,shadow} as a password/user
database, then there's just no reason to use another (in this
case clearly: useless) layer on top of that. It just adds
unneeded and unwanted complexity for no gain.

So: Why use PAM on systems that fit to the scenario I laid
out?

Alexander Skwar