At Thu, 24 Nov 2005 04:58:07 +0000 Ciaran McCreesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 15:34:27 -0500 Allan Gottlieb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
> | At Tue, 22 Nov 2005 13:17:27 +0000 Ciaran McCreesh
> | <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> | > The only way you can safely change CHOST is by making new stages
> | > through catalyst. There're various scripts which *sometimes* fix
> | > your system after a CHOST change, but they're not reliable...
> |
> | Does this mean that, if one needs a CHOST value not represented in any
> | of the current stage3 tar files, your recommendation would be to begin
> | with a stage1?
>
> Nope. You need a stage3 to build a stage1 with a new CHOST.

In the faq (http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#stage12) I find.

    How do I Install Gentoo Using a Stage1 or Stage2 Tarball?

    The Gentoo Handbook only describes a Gentoo installation using a
    stage3 tarball. However, Gentoo still provides stage1 and stage2
    tarballs. This is for development purposes (the Release Engineering
    team starts from a stage1 tarball to obtain a stage3) but shouldn't be
    used by users: a stage3 tarball can very well be used to bootstrap the
    system. You do need a working Internet connection.

It surprises me that release engineering starts with a stage1 to get a
stage3 and then we use this stage3 to build a stage1.  I mention this
only out of curiosity; there is a stage3 with my desired CHOST and I
expect to do all future installs starting with stage3 (I formerly used
stage1).

thanks,
allan