Holly Bostick wrote:

>>So, any thoughts on why "emerge --newuse" doesn't want to rebuild
>>apache?
>>

>Well, assuming it's not a bug (what version of Portage are you using?)
>then is it possible that apache is neither in your world file,

I'm on portage 2.0.51.22-r3.  This is a very new system - as part of the
install sequence portage was of course updated, so it was some earlier
portage version a week ago.

Seems a truism, but you're right. apache isn't in my world file.
somehow. And adding it to my world file does work around the symptom I
describe.

This begs the question of why it isn't there, considering it is
installed. I must wonder, what else that I've installed has somehow not
been added to the world file.  Perhaps I'm exposing my ignorance, but is
the world file not supposed to have everything that is installed and not
in the base system definition?  Under what circumstances (other than
failed/aborted emerge, which didn't happen) could something fail to go
into world?

Thanks,

glen