Dale schreef:
> LOL  It helped a little bit, but not much.
>

>> swifty / # df Filesystem           1K-blocks      Used Available
>> Use% Mounted on /dev/hda6              3564108   3505584     58524
>> 99% / udev                    127388        80    127308   1% /dev
>> /dev/hda1                48312     37412     10900  78% /boot none
>> 127388         0    127388   0% /dev/shm swifty / #
>

> Any more ideas?  I would hate to have to remove KDE from that thing.

 OK, ideas....

1 (Traditional): delete the contents of /usr/portage/distfiles. These
are the downloaded tarballs of the programs you have previously
installed. Since they are already installed, the tarballs are no longer
needed unless you reinstall the same program, soeleting these files only
means that if you want to reinstall the same version of the same
program, you'd have to download the tarball again.  However, since
you're on dialup, this might be a problem for you. So I would suggest
that you burn any tarballs you consider 'precious' or difficult to
acquire to CD or DVD (do you have a CD or DVD burner?) and *then* delete
the contents of /usr/portage/distfiles. If you need to reinstall
something that's difficult to download, you can pop the item back into
/distfiles/ from the backup. I commonly do this for the Neverwinter
Nights data tarball, which is 1GB of tarball, and I not only don't
really want to be downloading that again (even on my 8Mbit ADSL line)
when I want to reinstall NWN, but I don't need a gig of space being
eaten on my / partiton either. The file doesn't change, so it's safe enough.

2 (Traditional, little-known): Check /var/tmp/portage. There is a
directory for every compile you've done, and normally (when the compile
completes successfully) the temp compilation files are replaced by a
tiny .keep file. If the compile fails, however, the compilation files
remain, taking up space-- sometimes a lot of space. Find the directories
that take up more than a few KB and delete them. The program isn't
installed anyway (since the compilation failed), so no harm done.

3 (Tough Love): You don't want to get rid of KDE, but there's a good
chance you don't need all of KDE-- you might consider trimming it. This
is the gigantic benefit of the split ebuilds; you don't have to have
*all* of KDE, just the parts you need. You perhaps installed KOffice--
but do you actually need the spreadsheet and the presentation
....whatever? Uninstall KOffice and reinstall just KWord. Do you need
the accessibility functions?The educational programs? The PIM, toys, and
webdev programs? Etc, etc. If you have kde-meta installed, you might
want to consider unmerging that, re-emerging just the split ebuilds for
the KDE programs you use, then emerge depclean-ing the rest.

4. (Tough Love 1a): Do the above and switch to a 'lighter' WM-- you can
perfectly well use KDE applications while using... oh, IceWM or Openbox
or Fvwm-Crystal. I personally don't like KDE or most of its programs,
but there are a few KDE programs I do use under Fvwm-Crystal (Krusader,
K3b, KView). While of course this means I must have kdelibs, kdebase,
and QT installed (and the Control Center to manage the KDE backend
quickly for those few times its necessary), I don't *use* Konqueror, so
I don't need it, and I don't have to have a gigantic KDE backend
installed for no purpose (on my system). Using -kde in your USE flags
can often eliminate some cruft when installing such programs (because I
don't use the KDE backend for the applications, I don't need the KDE
setup tool for K3b, or the linkages that optional KDE support creates
when installing Krusader). Think about it.

5 (Tough Love 2): Consider not keeping every d*mn thing on your
computer's drive all the time. Back lesser-used personal data files off
the disk (twice, if you're thorough) and *delete them from the disk*. If
you need the file, copy it back from the CD-- or use it from the CD, if
it's like a movie or something. The originals don't have to be sitting
there taking up space "just because". And you should back up anyway
(it's good policy).

6 (External Tools): Consider emerging/using  /kgraphspace/ (if
you must have a KDE application), or /xdiskusage/ to see what is
actually taking up the space. Once you have located what directories
contain files that are taking up too much space, you can determine what
to do with them (delete, back up, whatever).

Hope this helps,
Holly