Holly Bostick wrote:

> OK, ideas....
>
>1 (Traditional): delete the contents of /usr/portage/distfiles.

Already gone.  I use http-replicator from my main rig.  I do wish I
could tell emerge to delete them after it finishes compiling though.

>2 (Traditional, little-known): Check /var/tmp/portage.

It will be gone shortly.  I didn't know if it would bork my system if I
deleted them or not.

>3 (Tough Love): You don't want to get rid of KDE, but there's a good
>chance you don't need all of KDE-- you might consider trimming it.

I plan to let my mom use it if I move so I hope I can keep it all.  Good
idea though.  I can't even remember what all I installed now.  Most
likely the whole thing though.  ;)

>5 (Tough Love 2): Consider not keeping every d*mn thing on your
>computer's drive all the time.

Right now, it only runs folding.  I have logged into KDE a couple times
but never been on the net.  Just making sure it would work is all.

>6 (External Tools): Consider emerging/using  /kgraphspace/ (if
>you must have a KDE application), or /xdiskusage/ to see what is
>actually taking up the space. Once you have located what directories
>contain files that are taking up too much space, you can determine what
>to do with them (delete, back up, whatever).

I had never heard of these.  Sort of funny, I need room but I need to
install something to see what can go.  LOL  I'll check into it though,
for my main rig for sure.

>Hope this helps,
>Holly

I did remove a kernel that I am not using.  I also pruned a few other
things that was not needed.  I was at 92% or so, now I am at 70%.  That
/var/tmp/portage was pretty big.  At least I can run folding now.

Thanks for the help.
Dale
:-)

--
To err is human, I'm most certainly human.