On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 01:06:39PM -0700, Richard Fish wrote:
> On 12/6/05, Michael George <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Actually, I spoke too soon.  The change in perms did get it further in
> > the boot process, but it complained about the special device /dev/sda1
> > (for /boot) not existing.  But it continued...
> >
> > It seems to be stopped at "Caching service dependencies" now, but I will
> > check /var/log/messages and /var/log/dmesg and see what it tells me.
> >
> > <time passes>
> >
> > Looking at /var/log/messages, it appears that /dev/console and /dev/ttyX
> > were still not found, so /dev is not being correctly created, I don't
> > think.
> >
> > It also says that the SCSI device was attached at /dev/sda, so the file
> > should have been there.
> >
> > The last message in the log is from slapd, so it appears that the boot
> > process got quite a way through what it was supposed to.  However, it
> > never did give me a login prompt, just stopped at "Caching service
> > dependencies".  I think that's because /dev/ttyX couldn't be opened.  So
> > the system basically booted all it's services and had / mounted because
> > grub did that (didn't need /dev/sda3).  I wouldn't consider it a stable
> > system, though, w/o /dev being right.
> >
> > Anyone know of a way to fix this issue?
>
> A couple of thoughts:
>
> Make sure the /dev/null and /dev/console exist on the root filesystem
> (boot from a livecd or "mount --bind / /mnt/root").

Already checked that.  The root filesystem does contain /dev/null and
/dev/console are there.  However, something is obviously breaking when
udev mounts the /dev system and then those devices are no longer
there...

> Also I recommend setting RC_DEVICE_TARBALL=no and RC_USE_FSTAB=no in
> /etc/conf.d/rc

I have tried RC_DEVICE_TARBALL=no and that didn't make a difference.  I
think RC_USE_FSTAB=no is the default.

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
        Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.