[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Maybe if you took `set daemon 60' out of .fetchmailrc and ran it from cron?
Thanks for the suggestion, but the reason I've avoided the cron approach is that I've two objectives: 1. To minimise latency in delivery of messages as far as is practical (without placing stupid demands on the resources of the POP3 servers) 2. To cope with very large emails (several MB) which may be present at any POP account and must be downloaded over a potentially extremely congested relatively low-bandwidth link.

The advantage of daemon mode here is that I neither end up with a huge polling delay nor any risk of a collision where two processes attempt to access the same POP account at the same time (which I'd expect to cause aggravation.)

I've used fetchmail for several years too - and this is the first time I've been sure it's let me down... I was wondering if it was a known (obscure) bug with the latest version... maybe, for example, one that only arises in the context of a TCP error or, maybe, a remote server failing mid-transaction?

Steve