On Dec 30, 2005, at 9:21 AM, Neil Bothwick wrote:

On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 08:22:26 -0600, John Jolet wrote:

or ssh sourcebox "tar -czvf - /path/to/be/backed/up" | dd
of=target.tar.gz

tar outputs to stdout be default, so "-f -" is redundant, as is the use
of dd. All you need is

ssh hostname tar cf /source/path >backup.tar.gz

hmm, I'm not sure this behavior is consistent across all versions of tar and all versions of ssh. I could be wrong, but the process I outlined will work on linux, aix, solaris, bsd, at least (those are the ones i've tested). but hey, I could be wrong...just because method a works doesn't mean it's the only method...that's the beauty of unix.

--
Neil Bothwick

Whats the difference between a magician and a brothel?
One has a cunning array of stunts,