Iain Buchanan schreef:
> Hi,
>
> I was following the thread "problem with firefox + netscape-flash"
> because flash doesn't work for me either, but the OP's solution was
> to remove the debug use flag from firefox, which I don't have anyway.
>

> So, I unmerged netscape-flash, deleted any macromedia directories or
> stale flash plugins lying around, and reinstalled netscape-flash.
>
> When I go to http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/welcome/ I get the
> firefox message "Additional plugins are required to display all the
> media on this page."
>
> Then I click on the "Install Missing Plugins..." and after a status
> bar it says:
>
> No suitable plugins were found. Unknown Plugin [Manual Install]
>
> The "Manual Install" button takes me to "Shockwave Player Download
> Center" which says "We are unable to locate a Web player that matches
>  your platform and browser."
>
> Now what?  netscape-flash is the right ebuild for firefox isn't it?

Yes, apparently it is, I have no problems with Flash that I'm aware of.
I usually check this by going to my ISP's home page which shows current
news items using a Flash applet embedded in the page. If I needed the
actual shockwave player, though, I'd have to install it with Wine, which
is very much doable, I've done that a couple of times;

(from about:plugins in Firefox 1.5)

Geïnstalleerde plugins

Shockwave Flash

    Bestandsnaam: libflashplayer.so
    Shockwave Flash 7.0 r61

MIME-type       Beschrijving    Achtervoegsels  Actief
application/x-shockwave-flash   Shockwave Flash         swf     Ja
application/futuresplash        FutureSplash Player     spl     Ja

and where does this come from?

equery belongs libflashplayer.so
[ Searching for file(s) libflashplayer.so in *... ]
net-www/netscape-flash-7.0.61 (/opt/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so)
net-www/netscape-flash-7.0.61
(/usr/lib/nsbrowser/plugins/libflashplayer.so ->
/opt/netscape/plugins/libflashplayer.so)

I do almost feel that I may have had to make that symlink myself though.
It's so long ago I don't remember anymore.

Hope this helps somewhat (at least you know it can work)
Holly