Hi all,

I have a 2.5in usb HD and 2 external usb2 cases.  I've been getting
pretty average performance with a 7200 rpm drive in both cases, but I
just thought this was the way it is.

However, I just did a test:
$ time
cp /usr/portage/distfiles/OOo_2.0.1_LinuxIntel_install.tar.gz
/mnt/usb-storage/device-0/partition-5/

real    1m20.903s

which is pretty slow.  I copied the same file in winblows (without
changing usb ports or anything) and it copies in about 15 seconds.

I noticed I had uhci-hcd loaded (the usb 1 module?) so I unloaded it,
and my keyboard stopped working!!!  So using the laptop keyboard, I
replugged the HD (now without uhci-hcd) and it still goes slow...

$ sudo hdparm -tT /dev/sdd

/dev/sdd:
 Timing cached reads:   3640 MB in  2.00 seconds = 1820.28 MB/sec
 Timing buffered disk reads:   30 MB in  3.13 seconds =   9.60 MB/sec

9.6 is pretty slow! I should be able to get at least double that...

And as I've said, I know this port is usb 2.0.

Any hints?
thanks,

IN MY OPINION anyone interested in improving himself should not rule out
becoming pure energy.
                -- Jack Handley, The New Mexican, 1988.