On Thursday 19 January 2006 12:39, a tiny voice compelled Neil Bothwick to
write:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 11:30:52 -0500, Ernie Schroder wrote:
> > Calculating world dependencies ...done!
> > [nomerge      ] media-plugins/gst-plugins-alsa-0.8.10
> > [nomerge      ]  media-libs/gst-plugins-0.8.10  +alsa -debug +esd +oss
> > [ebuild  N    ]   gnome-base/gconf-2.10.1-r1  -debug -doc -static 0 kB
> > [ebuild  N    ]    gnome-base/orbit-2.12.3  -debug -doc +ssl -static 0
> > kB [nomerge      ] x11-misc/xscreensaver-4.23  -gnome -insecure-savers
> > +jpeg -kerberos -krb4 -new-login +nls -offensive +opengl +pam -xinerama
> > [ebuild  N    ]  gnome-base/libglade-2.5.1  -debug -doc 0 kB
> >
> > Could this be a result of firefox-bin and openoffice-bin being built
> > with gnome support? How would portage know that? I don't understand the
> > gst-plugins connection either.
>
> gst-plugins depends on gconf, xscreensaver depends on libglade. These are
> unconditional dependencies, nothing to do with USE flags. The only way to
> get rid of the dependencies is the get rid of the dependent packages.
>
> GNOME libraries are not only used by GNOME, so you'll find them on most
> desktop systems.

Yeah, Thanks Neil. After some more playing, it had become pretty clear that
xscreensaver was calling for libglade. I want to keep that. I had tried
removing the gst-plugins and gstreamer, but an emerge -uaDntv wanted to bring
them all back. I've more or less resigned myself to the fact that I'm stuck
with a few gnome packages.
--
Regards, Ernie