Sorry for my misstake,
---
uname -a
Linux(none) 2.6.10-gentoo-r6 #8 Thu Feb 17 13:15:44 CET 2005 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R)
M processor 1.70 Ghz Centurion Intel GNU/Linux

etc-update
mkdir: cannot create directory '/var/tmp/1162': Read only file system
---
That must be my old Kernel which worked OK before my update
No I didn't run etc-update after my update when the system was up and working
Any way to mend the file system?

Fredrik

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ernie Schroder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org>
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2006 3:34 PM
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] ... fails to open device '/dev/hda2' after update

On Saturday 28 January 2006 09:15, a tiny voice compelled Fredrik Lundgren to
write:
Thanks for the advice,

To the best of my knoledge Kernel 2.6.15.1 was downloaded and installed.
I haven't made any change with respect to devfs or udev. How should i
make the migration? And I haven't used etc-update. What should I start
with?

d'loading and emerging a new kernel version is not "installing" a new kernel. You would have had to compile the kernel with genkernel or # make menuconfig
Find your running kernel version with:
$ uname -a

Did you run etc-update after your updates?

Again thanks from Fredrik