I am having some trouble with X11 DRI on my AMD64 system. It works
fine the first time after a reboot (I have xdm in the default runlevel
so get a graphical login) but after logging off and back on, all I get
is software rendering. I use x11-base/x11-drm-20051223 (compiled
against my current kernel, obviously, and the radeon module getting
loaded at boot time), and gentoo-sources-2.6.15-r1. I'm running a
framebuffer console and use the "radeon" Xorg driver. After logging
off and back on, /dev/dri/card0 is still 0:0 666, and my xorg.conf
says DRI is mode 0666, but all I get from within an xterm is this:

        [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ glxinfo | grep -i direct
        direct rendering: No
        OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
        [EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $

...with OpenGL performance that can be expected from software
rendering. I don't see anything in /var/log/Xorg.0.log that would
indicate an error condition, and it seems to say that direct rendering
gets initialized just fine. So why doesn't it get used?

Any suggestions on where to look would be appreciated.

--
Michael Kjörling, [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://michael.kjorling.com/
* ..... No bird soars too high if he soars with his own wings ..... *