Hello,

i have tried to update my kernel from 2.6.24-gentoo-r5 to 2.6.15-gentoo-r1.
Now when i boot up, my splash-theme starts a few seconds after the
message "OK, now booting the kernel" as before when it started
immediately after this message.
Ok but the main problem is, before starting up gdm the system hangs and
i can do nothing else anymore. Without nvidia-driver installed i can log
in in textmode so i think it is a problem with the nvidia-driver and or
splashutils and fbsplash.

For your information, to update my kernel i used my old config-file with
make menuconfig which shows me the following output

make menuconfig

  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/fixdep
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/split-include
  HOSTCC  scripts/basic/docproc
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/conf.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/kxgettext.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/mconf.o
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.c
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/lex.zconf.c
  SHIPPED scripts/kconfig/zconf.hash.c
  HOSTCC  scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/kconfig/mconf
  HOSTCC  scripts/lxdialog/checklist.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/lxdialog/inputbox.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/lxdialog/lxdialog.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/lxdialog/menubox.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/lxdialog/msgbox.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/lxdialog/textbox.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/lxdialog/util.o
  HOSTCC  scripts/lxdialog/yesno.o
  HOSTLD  scripts/lxdialog/lxdialog
scripts/kconfig/mconf arch/i386/Kconfig
#
# using defaults found in .config
#
.config:1317:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol FB_SOFT_CURSOR
.config:1426:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol USB_BLUETOOTH_TTY

*** End of Linux kernel configuration.
*** Execute 'make' to build the kernel or try 'make help'.

Maybe it has something to do with this error

.config:1317:warning: trying to assign nonexistent symbol FB_SOFT_CURSOR

Any suggestions concering this problem?

Thanks in advance

Daniel Pielmeier