On 2006-02-05 16:51:47 +0100 (Sun, Feb), Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
> recently i have installed xine -ui.
>
> A few days before when i do
> emerge -pv --deep --newuse --update world
> it shows me the following output
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
> Calculating world dependencies
> !!! Packages for the following atoms are either all
> !!! masked or don't exist:
> media-video/xine-ui
>
>  ...done!
>
> Total size of downloads: 0 kB
>
> Is xine-ui marked as masked recently?
>
> At http://packages.gentoo.org/search/?sstring=xine-ui it is marked stable.
>
> emerge -s xine-ui shows me
>
> Searching...
> [ Results for search key : xine-ui ]
> [ Applications found : 1 ]
>
> *  media-video/xine-ui [ Masked ]
>       Latest version available: 0.99.4-r3
>       Latest version installed: 0.99.3
>       Size of downloaded files: 2,496 kB
>       Homepage:    http://xine.sourceforge.net/
>       License:     GPL-2
>
> What is wrong here?

I am not sure, but check what you do have in
/usr/portage/media-video/xine-ui . Just a few hours after my last sync I
have got just one ebuild - stable xine-ui-0.99.4-r3.ebuild

If you find it, check its contents - what keywords are there for
your architecture.

I see: KEYWORDS="~alpha amd64 ~hppa ppc ppc64 sparc x86"

If your arch has proper keyword, then look inside
/etc/portage/package.mask and search for xine-ui in
/usr/portage/profiles/package.mask
(grep xine /usr/portage/profiles/package.mask)

You may want to check other package.mask files in your portage profile
hirarchy.

Having said all this, I suggest you issue the command:
  emerge -pv xine-ui
as it usually, pretty verbosely, says what is going on.

Example:
  #  emerge -pv toxine
  Calculating dependencies
  !!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "toxine" have been masked.
  !!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
  - media-video/toxine-0.6.3 (masked by: package.mask, missing keyword)
  # Diego Pettenò <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> (18 August 2005)
  # Toxine needs to be verified with upstream for a few issues.
  For more information, see MASKED PACKAGES section in the emerge man page or
  refer to the Gentoo Handbook.

You do have the latest portage, don't you?

HTH