On 2/9/06, Mark Knecht <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've stopped cupsd and removed it from starting at reboot using
> rc-update del cupsd default. What I'm completely confused about at
> this part is when I do the http://localhost:631 even with cupsd not
> running it still responds. What is responding at port 631 if not the
> cupsd daemon?
>
> Anyway, thanks for all the help. I'm sure I'll get this right one of these
> days.

I take this back. After restarting the broswer I get the main page but
none of the options work. They are all refuled potrt messages. Now,
with cupsd not running locally it seems that there would be no way to
set the default printer, or am I missing something?

This machine is lightning. It sees two printers on the network. In
windows IPP terms they are

\\MINI\PSC1600

and

\\CHRISTMAS\Epson

With cupsd not running I can still do lpstat and get info about the printers:

lightning ~ # lpstat -a
[EMAIL PROTECTED] accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
PSC1600 accepting requests since Jan 01 00:00
lightning ~ #

But the system has decided that the Eson is always the default. Due to
limitations of a few low-end Linux programs that cannot choose a
printer I sometimes need to change the default to get the print out to
go where I want it to go.

- Mark