Gerhard Hoogterp wrote:

> 4dos (and 4NT, still use it daily on win2000) had to deal with 8.3
> filenames..
> So it used an index file named descript.ion. Under linux that's not nessecary
> as you can just use long filenames including spaces..

While all of that is certainly true, it doesn't help you at all,
if you wish to put a descriptive comment on a file. For example,
it's a rather bad idea to rename /etc/passwd just to have a
comment in the filename :)

Yes, symlinks exist, but that's still not the same.

No, I don't have an idea. Anything I can think of would require
patching "ls". And I don't think that this would be a clever
idea...

Alexander Skwar
--
When you die, you lose a very important part of your life.
                -- Brooke Shields