Mick schreef:
> John Jolet wrote:

>>> Yep, /boot is always mounted (just to be sure I won't forget it,
>>> I always mount it before I even cd into /usr/src/linux).  Running
>>> make && make modules_install does *not* create any links in my
>>> /boot directory, ever.  Could it be that there's something wrong
>>> with my system(s) - at least three installations have always
>>> behaved like this . . .
>> No, make makes the bzImage under /usr/src/linux.....arch/.....boot
>> And make modules_install installes the modules in /lib, I think.
>> Neither of them touches /boot.  I THINK there's a make install
>> that's supposed to do some stuff for you, but I prefer to do those
>> steps by hand.
>
> I am confused:  how many 'make install's are there?  Don't they 'all'
> do the same?  Are we talking about a customised (hacked) make install
> here?

There is only one make install. It is the optional command out of the
set of commands used to compile and install a kernel:

make (which now includes make modules, whereas under 2.4-series kernels
you had to run make modules as a separate command) -- compiles the
kernel and modules

make modules_install -- installs dynamic (loadable) modules to
/lib/modules/<kernel-version>/

and you can then either copy the kernel manually to /boot, or use the
make install command to do so.

This functionality is not in any way a hack:

equery belongs /sbin/installkernel
[ Searching for file(s) /sbin/installkernel in *... ]
sys-apps/debianutils-2.15 (/sbin/installkernel)

Programs That Depend On debianutils
app-admin/sysklogd
app-portage/gentoolkit
app-text/noweb
dev-util/bazaar
dev-util/larch
dev-util/pbuilder
dev-util/tla
mail-filter/clamassassin
sys-apps/apmd
sys-boot/arcboot
x11-misc/sux
x11-wm/fvwm

And it's not in my world file, so it was probably installed by
gentoolkit or sux, which are the only two RDEPENDS of this list I have
installed (other than fvwm, but that's recent and I'm sure that I had
the ability to make install long before that). So I suppose it's possible
that some users might not have this, unless it's part of system, which I
don't know how to check.

But any utility ported from Debian certainly can't be considered a hack
by any stretch of the imagination

Holly