Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:46:57 +0100, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>
>> > If partition A
>> > runs out of space while partition B has plenty,
>>
>> Then you made B too large, which is the main cause of the problem.
>
> Of course, but if your needs change, that's the situation you find
> yourself in, as I did recently.

Yes, this might happen. How often does it, though?

>> > you have to shrink B's
>> > filesystem before you can add space to A. That's time consuming,
>> > especially if B uses XFS.
>>
>> What's so special about XFS? The fact that there's no shrinker?
>
> Yes, so a matter of seconds turns into the time it takes to backup,

Shrinking is never a matter of seconds :) Not with reiserfs and
especially not with ext2/ext3. But with those filesystems,
shrinking is at least possible.

> I've used complex partition layouts in the past and have found that, as
> with most things, KISS is the best approach.

Yep.

Alexander Skwar
--
It is common sense to take a method and try it.  If it fails,
admit it frankly and try another.  But above all, try something.