Maarten wrote:
> Okay, can we stop with the flamefest, already ?

Certainly.

> Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> Hemmann, Volker Armin wrote:

>>>since /tmp is not the only place where someone can write (/var/tmp anyone?)
>
> Several more indeed.  Find comes to the rescue:
>
> 12087    0 drwxrwxrwt   2 root     root           40 Jan 10 22:40 /dev/shm
> 252744    0 drwxrwxrwt   2 root     root           72 Apr 20  2005
> /var/spool/samba
>
> Yes, I CAN make files there, as a regular user.

Yep, but you have to find those places. If you cannot execute
programs, that will be hard. With /tmp, an attacker knows
that he can write there.

Granted, /dev/shm is also a rather common place that allows
everyone to write to.

>>>yes really, you have to remount /usr everytime you update something.
>>
>> Jaja. You know, your exaggerations become boring...
>
> Well, no.  It is correct. How do you expect to install something when /usr is
> mounted RO ?

Well, you know, his arguments aren't /totally/ wrong. I already
said that they are true, in a sense - but I also said, that he's
exaggerating very much. Quite obviously, there's no way to write
to /usr if it is mounted read only.

What I disagree with, is that his notion that a "mount -o
remount,rw /usr" is a lot of work.

I also don't disagree that it IS extra work. I'm just saying
that it's not MUCH extra work.

Alexander Skwar
--
(German philosopher) Georg Wilhelm Hegel, on his deathbed, complained,
"Only one man ever understood me."  He fell silent for a while and then added,