On Feb 18, 2006, at 10:52 AM, Rafael Fernández López wrote:

Hi,

Since I have started a project that needs to be redistributed (it'll be GPL)
I've started to deeply read Autoconf and Automake manuals.

Well, I had read some of FHS too, to know what I should do and what I should
not do with my file hierarchy.

But, what came to my mind (maybe it's possible today) is that we could make a new "file system" subtree in every ~. For example, a user will be able to do a "./configure ; make" but if the system is well-administrated a user won't be able to run a "make install", since it can cause problems to the system. (I know we, Gentoo users, don't care about that). But what I wanted to say is that if we are not root (typical case) we could do a "./configure ; make ; make install" (in an app called 'whatever') and it could create for example
"/home/me/bin/whatever" and "/home/me/share/doc/whatever" or
"/home/me/doc/whatever", and so on.

That would be great since a normal user won't infect any root filesystem, and
an administrator can fix any tricky problem deleting "/home/me".

Bye and thanks !,
Rafael Fernández López.

You might want to check out Gobolinux, it's an unusual distro that make the breaks the FHS by making the file system into a version control system for installed packages. Gobolinux has a "rootless" option that lets an unprivileged user install software into their home directory using their package system. It can work in conjunction with any other distro, Gentoo included.
http://www.gobolinux.org/?page=rootless

Dave