On Sunday 26 February 2006 04:21, gentuxx <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote about
'[gentoo-user] BS dependencies?':
> Why in the world to I need Apache, php(4), and a whole host of other
> packages (22 to be exact) just to install NTP?  Now, I'm assuming that
> the net-misc/ntp package is actually the daemon, and not just the
> client.

NTP is similar to many P2P protocols in that "clients" are normally also
long running background processes, daemons (or paenguins).  There are some
clients that use NTP messages to fetch a single time and set your clock
using it, but then you still get network latency "noise" and other
inaccuracies.  For daily work that's really not a big deal, but if you are
going to use NTP I suggest you really use NTP and run a daemon.  The
default config for both net-misc/ntp and openntpd does not listen on any
ports by default, so it shouldn't raise many security issues.

As far an these unwanted dependencies go, could you please provide the
output for emerge -pvt net-misc/ntp so we can see the whole dependency
chain?

> Can anyone suggest a client *only* package?  I've got a system that
> doesn't hold it's time after a reboot - all I really need is the
> ability to update the system time.

Just use rdate then.

--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.