Richard Fish wrote:

On 2/28/06, Mike Myers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Opening audio decoder: [pcm] Uncompressed PCM audio decoder
AUDIO: 8000 Hz, 1 ch, s16le, 128.0 kbit/100.00% (ratio: 16000->16000)
Selected audio codec: [pcm] afm: pcm (Uncompressed PCM)
[AO OSS] audio_setup: Can't open audio device /dev/dsp: Device or
resource busy
alsa-init: 1 soundcard found, using: default
alsa: 8000 Hz/1 channels/2 bpf/5460 bytes buffer/Signed 16 bit Little Endian
AO: [alsa] 8000Hz 1ch s16le (2 bytes per sample)

What version of alsa-lib do you have, and do you use the in-kernel
alsa drivers or the alsa-driver package?  Which version?
I'm using the kernel alsa drivers with the 2.6.15-suspend2-r6 kernel with alsa-lib 1.0.11_rc3 and alsa-headers 1.0.11_rc3.

Does anything change if you do "mplayer -ao alsa file.wav"?
This is where it's kinda weird. If I use vo=alsa then the .wav files won't play at all. If I use ao=arts, then they work, but skipping around, like fast forwarding or rewinding lags. Like, I'll press the left or right button and then about a second later it will actually rewind or forward. Before I migrated to the modular xorg, when I used the alsa driver it worked fine and it responded immediately when I skipped around.

The above "resource busy" error indicates that something is using the
legacy OSS interface.  IIRC, older versions of alsa could not share
this interface, and in fact would prevent other applications from
using the sound card at all if something was using this interface.

Maybe try an "lsof /dev/dsp" to see what is using the old OSS interface...

-Richard

I seem to get that error regardless of what I'm playing. I can play some files, like mp3s with the ao=alsa and that message will still appear, but it plays anyway.

Also, if I do the 'lsof /dev/dsp' command as you suggested, it only goes to a newline and then just sits there. It seems to do that for any file i use it on. The man page for that program is like a mile long and I don't have time to read through it right now. I'll read it later though.

Also, I don't know if it's worth mentioning or not, but the whole reason I upgraded to the modular xorg is because it was the only way I could get my mobile intel video card to work with the i810 driver and dri rendering.