On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 23:44 +1300, Glenn Enright wrote:

> I can certainly tell you that compiling (as an example) *wihtout* HT enabled
> on my P4 is a bad idea, takes nearly 4 times as long.

I would hesitate to say, the reason for this is more likely to do with
the way HT is turned off.  I've noticed massive slowdowns with turning
HT depending on whether I turn it off in the bios or just play with the
kernel.

<conspiracy theory>
there may even be some intentional slowdown when you do a bios / chip
based disable
</conspiracy theory>

--
Iain Buchanan <iain at netspace dot net dot au>

Man is an animal that makes bargains: no other animal does this--
no dog exchanges bones with another.
                -- Adam Smith