Curious. I just tested it on two of my Gentoo boxes. added myself to the cron group (gpasswd -a <my username> cron), then as my regular user ran "crontab -e" and entered

*/5 * * * * /usr/bin/mutt [EMAIL PROTECTED] -s 'test from user'

Just to get it to email me every five minutes, which it is. I've also got an empty cron.deny with no cron.allow (and am also using vixie cron). I'm going to try to debug this with you, so just to throw a couple of things out there:

1) Are you editing the users crontab directly or are you using "crontab -e" ? Using the builtin crontab edit will catch errors which would prevent execution...

2) Check your appropriate log file (I use sysklogd), so something like tail -f /var/log/syslog might reveal something of interest.

Let me know.

Thomas T. Veldhouse wrote:
Chad Feller wrote:
I haven't tried this on gentoo, but in general, and on other linux distros:

from crontab(1):

If the cron.allow file exists, then you must be listed therein in order to be allowed to use this command. If the cron.allow file does not exist but the cron.deny file does exist, then you must not be listed in the cron.deny file in order to use this command. If neither of these files exists, only the super user will be allowed to use this command.

Let me know if gentoo adheres to that also.

cron.allow does not exist and cron.deny does exist, but no users are in it. Cron SHOULD be working.

Tom Veldhouse