Lord Sauron wrote:
Hah!  Think I found my problem!  Correct me if I'm wrong!

I just was reading some documentation using KDE Help Centre and found
this thing called APMD.  I tried typing "apmd" into Konsole, and it
said "No APM support in kernel."  Does this mean this is going to be
as easy as "emerge apmd"?
APM is the old power management system, from before ACPI was invented. You can use APM or ACPI, but the two are mutually exclusive and do *not* work together. If you'd like to use APM, you need to remove ACPI support from your kernel, replace it with APM support, uninstall acpid (or at least stop it running), and install and start apmd. ACPI is recommended over APM these days due to its larger feature set.

HTH.