On 3/27/06, Matt Richards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > THUFIR HAWAT wrote:
> >
> >> Why can I not telnet to my own localhost?
> >
> > Is leafnode enabled? Or is it still disabled?
> >
> > Check your xinetd configuration.

I think it's enabled, see below.

> > Alexander Skwar
> > --
> > People who go to conferences are the ones who shouldn't.
> > --
> >

> you might want to also try a
> netstat -an
> and see if your computer is listerning on the nntp port
> and if it is what interface(s) is it listerning on ?

None, apparently--see below.

> --

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat -n /etc/hosts
     1  # /etc/hosts:  This file describes a number of hostname-to-address
     2  #              mappings for the TCP/IP subsystem.  It is mostly
     3  #              used at boot time, when no name servers are running.
     4  #              On small systems, this file can be used instead of a
     5  #              "named" name server.  Just add the names, addresses
     6  #              and any aliases to this file...
     7  # $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/hosts,v 1.8
2003/08/04 20:12:25 azarah Exp $
     8  #
     9
    10  #127.0.0.1      localhost
    11  127.0.0.1       hawat.thufir.invalid arrakis localhost
    12  192.168.0.2     gravity.twi-31o2.org gravity
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat -n /etc/leafnode/config
     1  ## Unread articles will be deleted after this many days if
     2  ## you don't define special expire times. Mandatory.
     3  expire = 20
     4
     5  ## This is the NNTP server leafnode fetches its news from.
     6  ## You need read and post access to it. Mandatory.
     7  server = shawnews.vc.shawcable.net
     8
     9
    10  hostname = hawat.thufir.invalid
    11
    12  initialfetch = 5
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat -n /etc/xinetd.conf
     1  # /etc/xinetd.conf: sample configuration file for xinetd
     2
     3  defaults
     4  {
     5          only_from      = localhost
     6          instances      = 60
     7          log_type       = SYSLOG authpriv info
     8          log_on_success = HOST PID
     9          log_on_failure = HOST
    10          cps            = 25 30
    11  }
    12
    13  includedir /etc/xinetd.d
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ cat -n /etc/xinetd.d/leafnode-nntp
     1  # default: off
     3
     4  service nntp
     5  {
     6          socket_type = stream
     7          protocol    = tcp
     8          wait        = no
     9          user        = news
    10          server      = /usr/sbin/leafnode
    11          disable     = no
    12  }
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ netstat -an | grep nntp
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ date
Mon Mar 27 14:59:55 IST 2006
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $

Is it a problem with the FQDN?  On re-reading the FAQ, I changed the
hostname as I don't own gmail.com, but I *do* have an account with
gmail, so...

I also have a thread on news.softwear.readers, pardon for the
multiposting.  I was just trying to address the telnet issue here.
Most of what's been written in reply goes over my head.

-Thufir