Lord Sauron wrote:

>On 3/26/06, Teresa and Dale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>I had this set to be compiled into the kernel.  Should that present
>any problems?

Most things do not matter.  You can do either way.  There are some
things that I have seen that must be modules and some things, like file
systems, that must be compiled in.  Example on the last one, I use
reiserfs for my files system including root.  If I have reiserfs as a
module, the kernel will not be able to read my root partition to boot
up.  For that reason, I have to compile it in so it can read the root
partition.  IF I had say a data partition that used XFS, I could make
that a module if I wanted to.  The system will boot up and then load all
the modules so it can read the other file systems.

One reason some use modules is that you can update them or do bug fixes
without rebooting.  You just unload the module, update it, then reload
it again.  This is usually something that folks like me and you do not
have to worry about though.

>>>│ │<*> Button │ │
>>>│ │< > Video │ │
>>>│ │< > Generic Hotkey (EXPERIMENTAL) │ │
>>>│ │< > Fan │ │
>>>│ │< > Processor │ │
>>>│ │< > ASUS/Medion Laptop Extras │ │
>>>│ │< > IBM ThinkPad Laptop Extras │ │
>>>

>I had this enabled (compiled into kernel) since I do own a IBM X40.
>

>>>│ │< > Toshiba Laptop Extras │ │
>>>│ │(0) Disable ACPI for systems before Jan 1st this year (NEW) │ │
>>>

>What on earth is this?  I read the descriptor, but it didn't help me much...
>

>From what I have read, some systems do not support ACPI at all.  They
will not work, or maybe they blow up or something.  I assume that there
is some way for it to know when it was made and it will disable it if it
is before that date.  I'm not really sure either.

>>As it says up at the top, you can press "y" to compile it in, press "m"
>>to have it as a module or press "n" to leave it out. You can also swith
>>through them with the space bar. There are a lot of gurus here that may
>>disagree with this, but I have no modules for my kernel unless I have to
>>have it for some reason. I did have modules for my temp sensors but that
>>was so I could reset it without rebooting. I'm sure someone will come in
>>with 100 reasons to have modules and some others will have reasons not
>>too. I say do it like you need to and whatever makes you and the system
>>happy.
>>

>I'm just going to try compiling stuff into the kernel first, before I
>try and tinker.

Save that info, you may need it.  The first kernel I made would boot up
but some things, USB and a couple other things didn't work, so I made a
new one.  The new one wouldn't work at all.  Something I changed didn't
work right at all.  Since I saved the old one, I just rebooted and used
it.  Otherwise, I would have had to boot the CD and chrooted in to fix
it.  That's a good tip to keep in mind.

>>When you make a new kernel, don't remove the old one. Since it does boot
>>up, you can use it to fall back on in case your new one fails for some
>>reason. Just give it a different name from the old one when you copy it
>>over. I do mine names like this:
>>

>So, I should rename one of my kernels and try and see which one is
>which?  Or am I still off the mark?  It didn't look like it compiled
>the kernel...  I think it should have taken longer, but it didn't.  I
>may be missing a step.  : /

Most likely the first one is named bzImage and that is fine.  Just name
you new one something different.  You can name it bzImage-1 if you
want.  I put the kernel version on the end so I know what version it is.

>>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] / # ls -al /boot/bzI*
>>>-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2196613 Sep 18 2005 /boot/bzImage-gen-2.6.12-1
>>>-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2224482 Dec 20 20:31 /boot/bzImage-gen-2.6.14-4
>>>-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2225130 Dec 27 04:50 /boot/bzImage-gen-2.6.14-5
>>>[EMAIL PROTECTED] / #
>>>

>>I currently have three kernels that I can boot if one of them gets
>>corrupted or something. The last digit is like a version number for me.
>>If you can't boot the old one, you can hit "e" twice when grub comes up
>>and then use the arrow keys to edit which kernel you want to boot. It
>>can save you a lot of headaches too. After you edit that, you just hit
>>return and then hit the "b" key to boot it up. If it gives you a grub
>>error, just hit the escape (Esc) key to go back and try again.
>>

>Just a question: if the support is made to be as a module (M, instead
>of *) does that mean that you have to add something like "doacpi" to
>the boot parameters?

That means you have to add it to the /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6
file for it to load the module when it boots.  This is what my file
looks like:

> nvidia
> hwmon_vid
> i2c_isa
> w83627hf

I guess I do still have my sensors as modules.  Anyway, nvidia has to be
a module.  You will see them when they load up.

>>Hope this helps. I'm about to take some meds and may not be around for a
>>while. Plenty of others here to help though.
>>

>Ah, you take crazy-pills too.  I've already taken mine, so I'm a
>couple minutes away from sleep.  Thanks for your help.  By the end of
>this I'll hopefully be guru enough to help someone else out in turn :
>)

Not crazy pills.  I'm disabled from a skin disorder and when it starts
to itch like crazy I can take meds for it.  It's just that the meds make
me sleepy.  When I get up, I have a really dry mouth and I want to eat
everything in the house, even some foods I don't like.  I took my meds,
just one pill though, so parden me while I go eat.  O_O

Dale
:-)