--- Chad Feller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> methinks java is not in your path.  if you type:
>
> "which java"
>
> does it return anything?  that failing find out
> where it (java) is on
> your system.  something like this should help:
>
> "locate javac | grep bin"
>
> (I chose javac instead of java as you shouldn't get
> a mile of output,
> but likewise you could do a "locate java" instead -
> nevertheless they
> should be in the same place).  if locate returns
> something, then take a
> peek at your path ("echo $PATH") and that should
> reveal your problem.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ which java
which: no java in (/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin)
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ locate javac | grep bin
/opt/blackdown-jdk-1.4.2.02/bin/javac
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~ $ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin

Hey, you're right! How'd that happen? I wonder does
this have something to do with an emerge -C openssh?
Before it ran it warned me that openssh was part of my
profile and could cause me problems. But java? Too weird!