> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 22:00 +0200, Jannis Achstetter wrote:
>> I don't say you have to but if I were you I would:
>> - - update the xorg to 7.X
>> - - build agpgart for your chipset into the kernel
>> - - build the DRM for the ATI Radeon into the kernel
>
> can you specify what kernel version you're using, and what the config
> file names are for these two kernel options?
I'm using 2.6.16-beyond-git12 here.
The agpgart is called "CONFIG_AGP". You have to select the correct
MB-chipset here, which is an SIS for me ("CONFIG_AGP_SIS").
Next, you need the DRM ("CONFIG_DRM") and the Radeon-support for it
("CONFIG_DRM_RADEON").

>> - - configure xorg to use the "radeon"-driver (This is not just changing
>> one line, you will have to reconfigure the whole section because the
>> different drivers use different parameters)
>
> I thought I'd try your suggestion, since I already have modular xorg,
> and I'm getting fed-up with constantly-locking-up-ati-drivers.
>
> Also, what options do you have set in your xorg.conf file? Maybe even
> post your whole radeon "Device" section, if its small :)
>
> that would help me out a bit, I think.
>
> so far, I don't have dri (the Load "dri" command in xorg.conf locks up
> my laptop)

Here is my device-section:

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "device0"
    Driver      "radeon"
    Option      "AGPMode" "4"
    Option      "backingstore" "true"
    Option      "VideoRam" "128"
    BusID       "PCI:1:0:0"
    Option      "hw cursor" "off"
# This is for Xorg 7.0 to work correctly:
    Option      "ColorTiling" "off"
    Option      "AccelMethod" "EXA"
EndSection

Be sure to add this section (you might have it already):
Section "DRI"
    Group "video"
    Mode 0666
EndSection