On 5/4/06, Matthias Bethke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I just noticed a strange problem on our server that's just been switched
to Gentoo:
It's running dhcpd, which init starts right after bringing up the
network interface. But dhcpd quits, complaining it couldn't listen on
eth0 because it had address 0.0.0.0. So it seems the interface isn't
fully up yet when the init script returns---probably because the
Broadcom Tigon driver seems to be on the slow side when changing
parameters, while the CPU is plenty fast. I've now tried to fix it with
a postup() function that simply does a "sleep 3", but that's pretty
hacky IMHO. Isn't thatere a way to do it properly? I think the script
should ensure its jobs are finished before it returns in any case.

Have you looked through the '/etc/conf.d/net.example' file?  I'm not too familiar with DHCP, but the net.example file has this entry:

# For passing custom options to dhcpcd use something like the following. This

# example reduces the timeout for retrieving an address from 60 seconds (the

# default) to 10 seconds.

#dhcpcd_eth0="-t 10"

Not sure if it will help, but maybe increasing the wait time might work.

-Hani
--
"If, of the many truths, you select only one and follow it blindly, it will become a falsehood, and you a fanatic."