I've been so used to playing mp3 files that I'm lost with real live
audio CDs (not a data CD with mp3 files).  The XMMS docs aren't really
helpful.  Do I need an additional plug-in?  mplayer is worse.
"mplayer /dev/cdrom" tries to play a file by that name.  I emerged
cdplay and "cdplay -c -v" gets the CD spinning and the output indicates
that it is playing, but I get no sound.  I have unmuted the CD player
and set its volume via alsactl.  One additional complication is that
there is no headphone jack near the CD tray, so I assume I have to go
via the soundcard.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca