On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 03:36:18PM +1200, Mark Kirkwood wrote:

> By way of contrast, I've been running Tyan and Supermicro boards with
> ATI radeon 9000 and 9200 cards for years without any issues on FreeBSD
> 4.8, 4.9, 5.3, 5.4 and now 6.0. I just use the supplied drivers that
> come with Xorg (XFree in the past).

        I replaced a failed ATI 9700 PRO with a GeForce 6300. ATI
    _NEVER_ supported that card with a Linux compatible driver.

        I have an HP ZD8000 with the ATI X300 card in it. You will
    never believe it, but... ATI _NEVER_ supported that card!!!

        I look at the list of cards nVidia supports, and make the
    decision to never again purchase another ATI card (okay, my
    Tyan K8WE has ATI, and I will used the chip, but it will be
    a firewall, so who cares?) simply due to their crappy support.

        No, I don't use 3D - but, if I wanted to/needed to, I feel
    nVidia at least offers me the chance of having it work. Now,
    granted, it may not work, but at least I have the chance. Plus
    nVidia offers native FreeBSD support, which is what my work-
    station and firewall run.

                                                Bruce