Timothy A. Holmes wrote:
FAR more problems than im willing to go through
(the shortest set of instructions ive seen so far for automount is like
3 pages)
+
IT Manager / Network Admin / Web Master / Computer Teacher
=
LOL.

After this, I find quite odd you have to be root to mount a USB stick.
I've never had to be root to do it.

My /etc/fstab says:
/dev/sdb1   /mnt/removable  vfat  noauto,async,user,exec 0  0
and I can mount it as a user just by clicking on its icon on Konqueror, for example.

I think what you really need, however, is not automount but maybe HAL. Check in the wiki and/or docs for info, and don't run away in fear if you see some page of instruction... after all, you're using Gentoo! :)

m.