On 5/8/06, Jerry McBride <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
The suggested equery wasn't much help, but grep-ing use.local.desc was a gold
mine. Thanks! I had already looked into use.desc and I stopped there and
posted my request for help. Why is it, that use.desc contains less
information about the use flags than use.local.desc?

The difference is that use.local.desc contains flags that are local to
specific ebuilds while the flags in use.desc are system wide flags. Some flags in use.local.desc are common across 2 or even more ebuilds.
I don't know why those flags aren't global flags.  There may even be
flags in use.local.desc that share the same name but mean very
different things to different packages.

Honestly, I think USE flags, as powerful as they are, are the
cruftiest part of Gentoo and could be so much more powerful and ought
to be so much less clumsy.

Justin