On Mon, May 08, 2006 at 05:52:07PM +0200, Harald Arnesen wrote
> Stef?n Istv?n <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > h?tf? 08 m?jus 2006 11.32 d?tummal Walter Dnes ezt ?rta:
> >>   I've been so used to playing mp3 files that I'm lost with real live
> >> audio CDs (not a data CD with mp3 files).  The XMMS docs aren't really
> >> helpful.  Do I need an additional plug-in?  mplayer is worse.
> >> "mplayer /dev/cdrom" tries to play a file by that name.  I emerged
> >> cdplay and "cdplay -c -v" gets the CD spinning and the output indicates
> >> that it is playing, but I get no sound.  I have unmuted the CD player
> >> and set its volume via alsactl.  One additional complication is that
> >> there is no headphone jack near the CD tray, so I assume I have to go
> >> via the soundcard.
> >
> > Has your CD player been connected with your sound card? If not, I think you
> > won't hear any sound.
>
> You don't need a cable from the CD player to the sound card with xmms:
>
> Options -> Preferences -> Audio I/O Plugins -> Audio CD Reader ->
> Configure -> Output -> Read Digital CD Audio

  My main problem seems to be that (with one exception) xmms doesn't
even get the CD spinning.  Here's what I've checked so far...

  - alsamixer CD unmuted and volume set to 77
  - I am a member of audio and cdrom groups
  - the "cdplay" program sees the number of tracks and and their
    lengths on the cdrom.  "cdplay -c -v" goes through the motions of
    playing the cdrom.  The cdrom spins, and cdplay lists each track as
    it's played... but there is no sound.
  - /dev/cdrom is correctly symlinked to /dev/hda
  - I've tried both the xmms-cdaudio and xmms-cdread plugins.
    xmms-cdaudio has a "Check CD drive" option.  When I click it, the
    cdrom spins, and I get a list of tracks which matches the output I
    get from "cdplay --listtracks".

  But when I tell xmms to play AudioCD, it just sists there.  The CD
does not spin at all.

--
Walter Dnes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
My musings on technology and security at http://tech_sec.blog.ca