On Mon, 8 May 2006 10:50:59 -0300
"Daniel da Veiga" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote the words:

> On 5/7/06, Adrian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > Greetings.  I'm trying to set up a new Gentoo box.
> >
> > I downloaded the latest portage snapshot, untared it and ran
> >
> > emerge regen
> >

> you mean emerge --metadata don't you?! because that's all you need
> after a snapshot update.

First i did regen.  After reading the man page again I found --metadata
and tried that.  I didn't help at all.  I may simply try again to see
if it makes any difference.  I have a few other things to try first.

> > now everything I try to emerge I get:
> >
> > Security Violation: A file exists that is not in the manifest
> >

> That's caused because newer versions of emerge use a feature called
> "strict" that checks the manifest and files comparing them (using md5,
> if I'm not mistaken). You can:
>
> 1) bypass this by using FEATURES="-strict" on make.conf.
> 2) emerge-webrsync && emerge --metadata
>
> Both of them work for me, but I strongly suggest the second because
> strict is a good feature.

I see.  Thanks for explaining, and telling me how to bypass it.

> > From doing a google, it looks like i need to run
> >
> > emerge sync
> >
> > in order to fix this.  However, if I could sync then I wouldn't be
> > doing this.  Everytime I try to sync it times out and I never
> > finish. I'm on dial-up, so it's a bit slow.  I am trying to install
> > emerge-delta-webrsync and try from there, but of course, I can't
> > emerge anything . . .
>
> download the mirrorselect tool and choose another server for rsync,
> then update (or use it to update with output redirection) your
> make.conf and be happy.
>
> If you REALLY need anything installed, even in order to fix your
> portage or anything like that, use the "-strict" option to do whatever
> it takes to put your portage back in order, then REMOVE THE "-strict"
> option and try again till it works (you can upgrade portage, python,
> etc).

I used "-strict" to install emerge-delta-webrsync and mirrorselect and
update rsync.  After that I still get timeout problems with emerge sync
and emerge-delta-webrsync has been unsuccessful so far.

Thank you for your help, I'll be back when I know & have tired more.

Adrian

--
On The Fly Photography -:- Creation From Chaos

On The Fly Photography:  http://204EastSouth.com
Purchase from On The Fly:  http://204EastSouth.com/OTFStore.htm
The Cynical Libertarian Society:  http://www.204EastSouth.com/cls