On Wed, 10 May 2006, Justin Findlay wrote:
+
On 5/10/06, Jorge Almeida <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 Konsole. Allows me to set a background. Nothing fancy, just a very light
 yellow wich I find appropriate for my eyesight. Also allows to customize
 text colors (directories, symlinks,etc). These two points are _really_
 important--we're not talking eye candy here.

You can change those colors for all tereminals by copying
/etc/DIR_COLORS to ~/.DIR_COLORS.

But can I use them in any terminal, e.g. xterm? I suppose so, but how
can a non-initiate know how to do it? I'm not saying that Konsole is
perfect, far from it--for example, the font I use (Luxi mono) is
impossible to choose from the settings dialog, I had to edit a conf file
thanks to a suggestion by someone in this list, long ago. But at least I
can set the colors for the background and the text. Anyway, in my home
computer (just 1.5GHz, P4) Konsole is reasonably fast...
I just launched a xterm, just to see how it goes. The "TrueType Fonts"
entry in the "VT Fonts" menu is dimmed; I checked that xterm was emerged
with the "truetype" flag selected. The fonts are not too bad, but Luxi
Mono is better. And I see no menu entry to change it...
I don't doubt that xterm is a good piece of software, it's just that
some functionalities are important for some of us. And the same goes for
other emulators.

Anyway, thanks for the hint. It may be usefull.
--
Jorge Almeida