> Forgive my ignorance, but what is RSYNC?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rsync
basically, portage use rsync to update the information on packages
(ebuilds) in /usr/portage (with emerge --sync)

> If anything, this is a indicator that I need to try and contribute to
> the portage project...  at least contribute as much as I'm able.
you should try the ~x86 version of portage which has many improvements:
$ echo "sys-apps/portage ~x86" >> /etc/portage/package.use
$ emerge portage

you should also know that there is an alternative package manager which
will maybe replace portage in the future: paludis.
It is still in early development so use it at your own risk.
http://paludis.berlios.de/

you can find more info on portage on the new gentoo development guide:
http://devmanual.gentoo.org/