Hi,

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006 00:51:47 +0930
Raymond Lewis Rebbeck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > Another handy tip. Can't remember why I had it (did the "research" when
> > > I reinstalled it 32bit). I'll remove it too.
> >
> > ftracer is harmless.
> > From man gcc:
> >   -ftracer
> >            Perform tail duplication to enlarge superblock size.  This
> > trans- formation simplifies the control flow of the function allowing other
> > optimizations to do better job.
>
> If it was harmless and beneficial it'd already be included in an -O? level.

Probably. And it seems to be only of interest when using
-fsched2-use-superblocks or -fsched2-use-traces. The man page entry for
the further (included in the latter) option says: "This option is
experimental, as not all machine descriptions used by GCC model the CPU
closely enough to avoid unreliable results from the algorithm."

-hwh