Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
Am I correct in thinking that USE flags in /etc/portage/profiles/use.desc are global flags and should be placed in /etc/make.conf whereas those in use.local.desc are only local flags and should only be placed in /etc/portage/package.use with the appropriate package?

It doesn't really matter. Where you should put them depends on how you want them to take effect. A flag that only affects one package will affect that one package regardless of whether it's in make.conf or package.use, so I prefer to put it in make.conf for clarity, especially in the --info context. On the other hand, flags that many people consider to be global (apache2, mysql, php, etc) I only enable for one or two specific packages, as needed.